Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Too good to be a 'Black' film

I think that this is a harsh topic. I think that this title gives a bad reputation to this critic. It startles me because I kind of feel that the critic is giving "black" directors and "black" people in the film industry a reputation of low standards. By low standards, I mean that the general public only expect them to produce low quality films and stories, which is really sad. Regardless of color and being too good to be a black film, I felt that this movie was well worth the viewing.

As I read the article by Mia L. Mask, it states that "Eve's Bayou, one of the most financially successful independent films released last year." This goes to show me that race shouldn't have an influence on the film. Segregation should not be a reason for people both white and black to not go see a film if they are not of that race. Later on it states that, they found out who was going to see the film, leading them to the surprising discovery that over half of Bayou's moviegoers were white. This is just evidence that regardless of race, a movie is still a movie.

Ultimately, the question of "whether Eve's Bayou is too well made, too universal in its appeal, and too sophisticated in subject matter to be considered a 'black' film," should not even be a question. It was a good independent film not because it was a black film, but because of its meaning and content.

Links for Eve's Bayou:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eves_bayou/

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/Film?Film=oid%3A141091

4 comments:

Emily H said...

I can agree with the fact that this movie should not have been stereotyped that way. I do not believe that movies should be dictated by the race or the sex of the individuals involved, either actors or producers. This being said, when a particular individual produces a movie about their particular race, they might be able to get away with more stereotypes than another individual. Your blog was very thoughtful and entertaining.

movies said...

Yea i could not beleive that in a review the person would mention it was too good to be a black film. You think if they were really gong to be racial about it what would hurt to throw in about sexism. Shouldn't it have said too good to be a black woman film. Who cares who made it and what race they were if a film is good then it is good and that is it.

Kelly S. said...

I agree that this is a terrible thing for a reviewer to say and that this is not a black movie it is simply a good movie! I agree that race, gender etc should not be a consideration in how a film is reviewed. I felt it was sad though because I think the reviwer meant to give the film a positive review but went about entirly wrong.

Nicole@CSUS said...

I agree that the title was harsh. But I'd have to say that I sometimes fall under categorizing films as "black films" too. I think of the Wayne’s brothers movies as black films. Kind of like the BET channel movies or shows. I have to watch myself in doing this but I think as humans we tend to at times stereotype even if we don't mean to!