Wednesday, August 1, 2007

For Wanda and other B grade movies

When I was watching Loden's, For Wanda, I could see how people would not understand how directors and other people who had any contribution to this film could have imagined that this film would "make it." I read the readings about the video and could easily see how people could get the ideas of, no wonder this film only was released in one movie theater and then forgotten for another ten years. For Wanda can be first looked at as a film that most people would not consider to watch, even if they had to! When you take into consideration the amount of money, time and equipment used, the story line and outcome is a very good video. I feel that they did well with what they had to work with.

I was one of those people who used to think that low grade and low budget filmed were a waste of time. It only took one film that really got me interested in independent and B grade movies such as For Wanda. The movie that really got me interested in this area of film was a movie that was released in January of 2005, Sidewayz. Alexander Payne directed this film about two middle aged men who go on a journey in the wine country nestled in the central coast and Santa Ynez valley. This comedy features actors such as Sandra Oh and Paul Giamatti. One of the reasons that I first got interested in this film is for the primary reasons that I grew up in the same spot they filmed. I could refer to every scene, golf course, restaurant, store, and building that was in the movie! I highly recommend this film, you also learn a lot about wine and the wine country.

Since I saw the movie Sidewayz, I began to get quite the interest in low budget films and began to appreciate the hard work that goes on in film production. My interest have expanded more into other work of B grade movies. If anyone has any suggestions on movies for me that you think would catch my eye, let me know!

5 comments:

vcornejo said...

Oh no! I hate "Sidewayz"...it DID make me want to go to Napa though.
When "For Wanda" began, I immediately thought, "I do NOT want to watch this movie," but as it continued, I found myself liking it more and more. I think my initial problem with the movie in the beginning were the realistic scenes of Barbara Loden's character's life. The baby crying, the factory workers, and the worn and messy house made me believe the movie would continue to be boring, as I assumed Loden's character's life to be.
I didn't expect Loden's character to meet a criminal, enjoy his company, and become emotionally attached to him. It was a good suprise, and the twist in the story made the movie so much more better.

Emily H said...

I love the movie "Sidewayz". I agree that before this movie I never had much of any intrest in B or independent movies, and I am sorry to say that this is the only moive that I have found an intrest in. Although my intrest in the movie Sideways could be due to my addiction to wine. HOwever when comparing "Sidewayz" to "Wanda" I would have to say that "Sideways" is a winner hands down, "Wanda" was my impression of a typical B movie that I try to avoid.

Katie Lady said...

I did like both For Wanda and Sidewayz, for the subject matter, the storylines and knowledge of how much work it is to make these films successful dose make me appreciate these films more. And I agree I would also like some suggestions on some good independent films, I have not seen many, but have enjoyed the ones I have seen.

Kelly S. said...

I agree with you that given the time and effort that went into the movie the outcome was impressive and more than likely better than anything I could produce. Yet I still felt like the movie failed to make anyone sympathetic enough to actually root for or care about what happens to.

dsimpkin said...

I don't think Sideways is by any means a B grade movie. Sideways had a budget of 16 million dollars and grossed 109 million worldwide. Sideways is a film that any audience can watch while Wanda only appeals to a certain crowd and even then still seems a little strange.