Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Point Break


I remember seeing Point Break for the first time when I was young. I was interested in the film because I too was a surfer growing up. I was even Ronald Regan for Halloween when this movie was popular.


When I look into depth of the video, I do realize some of the gaze that appears toward Keanu Reeves. I think that some of the major points of gaze were the beginning of the film when he was being tested for shooting practice by the FBI. Another example would be when Keanu Reeves woke up next to Lori Petty on the beach. These two sets were in slow motion and were very persuasive that Kathryn Bigelow was attracted to the characters and the male gaze.


"Point Break" is not the kind of movie where we should spend a lot of time analyzing the motives of the characters. Once Johnny Utah realizes, for example, that Bodhi knows he's an FBI agent - should he really go skydiving with him, and let Bodhi pack the chute? When this question came up, I think that this was a little extreme, but you do have to realize that Johnny Utah was in love with the character, Tyler. Tyler was going to get killed if there wasn't a connection between Bodhi and the guy holding Tyler hostage; therefore Utah did not have much of an option of whether or not to jump out of the plane. The things that we do for love...


As for the very end of the movie, I think that it was wrapped up well. I like how Johnny Utah was set to go out and find Bodhi. Once he found him and new that he wouldn't survive the rough surf, he let him go. As for the last quote, Utah tells Bodhi, "Go with God"

1 comment:

Bryanmc said...

Probably wasn't the best of ideas to let Bodhi pack his chute. Could have gotten a bit more ugly. I also agree with you when you said that were pulled to watching this movie, as you too were into surfing. Pretty much the same with me, as well as being action packed.